Wednesday, October 13, 2010

mental notes made physical

I've taken to carrying around a little note-book.
I found that I think best when moving, such as walking, when my mind is not occupied with all the distractions found at a desk.
I also found that I commonly would explore a concept in my mind and make mental notes about various aspects of it. The thoughts could have been about what was going on around me, drifting or chewing over some topic that had come up earlier, or even ideas about work that should be shared or considered in more detail.
The trouble was remembering the points that I had considered later when I got back to somewhere I could write things down. All the marvellous phraseology and concise explanations disappeared and the fine detail of the thought process was gone.
Hence the idea of a physical manifestation of a mental note. With a small notebook I can jot down some mnemonic or phrase to remind my self later where my head was at.
Part of the point of this blog was to get stuff down on paper so that I did not continue to re-visit it so much later. Re-circulating ideas was becoming a problem. I have even lain awake at night because of worries or ideas or fuming or something buzzing through my head. I found that writing it down trapped the thought and I could let it go. Since I was trapping it anyway, putting it out in public (such as it is) made sense. Killing two birds with one stone as it were.
However, it is generally not possible to write things down immediately on a screen - nor desirable I suppose. The notebook so far is bridging the gap neatly - and also allows me to keep track of those rare ideas about work which would otherwise be lost.

No comments:

Post a Comment